Notes |
- He arrived in Melbourne with his numerous children, one of whom was born on the boat on the way to Australia. He also brought furniture and a frame house that he erected in Bourke Street, next door to St Patrick's Hall. Patrick was on the Melbourne Water Board for some time. He also had a dairy on the corner of Bourke and Elizabeth Streets in Melbourne. He later build the Hazel Glen Homestead on a block of land he took up near the Upper Yarra and Kangaroo Grounds in 1844 and named it Hazel Glen. The land here was undulating sheep country. The Hazel Glen Homestead was built with a framework of squared posts filled in with hand made bricks and a detached kitchen of slabs. Patrick had a family of five sons and four daughters of which Robert was the eldest. As Robert went to Queensland and took up Echo Hills Homestead, Hazel Glen run was divided between Patrick Jnr (who later went to Omeo), Hugh, James and William. It was William who received the homestead and from him it passed to his son Raymond L Reid.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Marie Holmes - from the book Bristol and Beyond
http://www.australiancemeteries.com/vic/nillumbik/arthurscreek.htm
Arthur's Creek Cemetery
Arthurs Creek Road, Arthurs Creek, Victoria, Australia
Approximately 33 kilometres north-west of Melbourne you will find the rural community of Arthur's Creek. In 1844 Patrick Reid settled in the area taking over the squatting licence originally held by McLaughlan and Campbell. It is believed that Patrick Reid, his wife, Agnes, and their family of nine children probably arrived in the area in 1843 an upon settling in the area he called his holding “ Hazel Glen ”; probably named for the old estate, “ Hazel Glen or “Hazelden ”, in Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland, from whence he came.
The cemetery was initially the burial ground for the Reid family on their property. Agnes Reid, aged 49 years, the wife of Patrick Reid, died on 19th May, 1847 and she was the first burial in the burial ground on the property. Patrick Reid, aged 74 years, died on the 28th July, 1858 and was buried with his wife. He was the second burial.
The burial ground was identified by government surveyors as they surveyed the area involving the Reid property in 1865 and found it no longer was part of the Reid property. It was then declared a temporary cemetery site and approximately six acres around the graves was approved by the Governor in Council on 9 September, 1867 and gazetted on 17 September, 1867 as the Linton Cemetery . In the Victorian Gazette of 29 March, 1870 the Governor in Council approved the “ Rules and Scale of Fees ” submitted by the trustees: Patrick Reid, William Reid, Robert Airey and Charles Draper.
In 1867, following a public meeting at the old Hazel Glen State School , it was noted that the area was part of the parish of Linton (as it was then known) so the cemetery was renamed Linton Public Cemetery . Of interest is the old school building at Hazel Glen was shifted to a new site and became known as Doreen State School . The cemetery was known locally during its early days as Hazel Glen Cemetery .
By August, 1890 the Trustees for the Linton Cemetery were: Charles Draper (Chairman), David Christian, Norman McPhee, Stewart King, Joseph Lobb (chosen by public meeting about 1884) and T. Hammet, Secretary, who was the school teacher at Arthur's Creek at the time. The 5 August, 1890 return from the cemetery trust noted that there had been 48 burials to date in the cemetery, with only one burial in the last twelve months.
On 17 January, 1876 , State School No 1666, Arthur's Creek, opened under the control of Mrs Marion Hillier. By 1888 attendance at the school was between 30 and 50 pupils. In 1952 a school plantation was established.
The new trustees of the cemetery in 1926 decided to change the name from the Linton Public Cemetery to Arthur's Creek Public Cemetery . This request went to the Public Health Department and from 10 July, 1926 onwards it was known by this name. It was believed this decision was made so that it would not be confused with the town of Linton near Ballarat. The cemetery was in the area of Arthur's Creek and it was felt this was the correct name for the cemetery.
In a letter to the Public Health Department, James T. Murphy, Secretary of the Arthur's Creek Cemetery Trust noted that the total burials in the cemetery as at 31 st December, 1933 were 182 and that the Trustees were: Hugh Macmillan (Presbyterian), Joseph Murphy (Methodist), David Murphy (Baptist), William John Brennan (Independent), Raymond Reid (Church of England) and Harry Christian (Roman Catholic). On a report on the cemetery by Kevin J. Matter dated 3 March, 1969 it was noted that there had been 201 burials in the cemetery, with three being in the last twelve months.
The Genealogical Society of Victoria holds in its cemetery files the Register and Headstones: 1847-1988 for the Arthur's Creek (Linton/Hazel Glen) Cemetery. These records were transcribed by Major Robert Lyall (Register to 1979) and Mrs Alice Curr (Headstones to 1988). The records consist of 16 pages with an Index of Surnames found in the front of the document.
One of the Reid family of Hazel Glen, Albert Henry Reid, served in the Boer War as a Sergeant in the 3 NSW Imperial Bushmen. He then enlisted on 22 July, 1915 in the in the 9 th Battalion, Australian Infantry, in World War 1 and was killed in action on 20 April, 1916 at Lavantie , France . He was buried Rue-du-Bacquerot, Laventie, France Graveyard: Row F, Grave 45. He was the son of William and Lucy Reid, of Hazel Glen, Doreen , Victoria . He was 45 years of age at the time of his death and was born at Hazel Glen.
Some early burials in the cemetery provide information on the use of the cemetery name via the death certificates:
* Patrick Reid died on the 28 th July, 1858 at Hazel Glen from Ashma. He was 74 years of age. His death certificate notes he was buried in the Private Burial Ground, Upper Plenty, on 30 July, 1858 . He was married to Agnes Hay and 12 children were listed with three being noted as deceased. James Reid, his son of Hazel Glen, was the informant for the death.
* Of interest, the death certificate for William Johnson, a farmer, aged 21 years, who died on 22 May, 1881 at Hazel Glen was listed as being buried at the Hazel Glen Cemetery on 24 May, 1881 .
* Even by 1900, the death certificate for Mary Fleming, aged 43 years, who died on 7 April, 1900 at Yan Yean was listed as being buried at the Hazel Glen Cemetery on 9 April, 1900 so the use of the name, Hazel Glen, for the cemetery was still in use in the early1900s.
This well kept cemetery is still in operation with an active cemetery trust and a new Secretary of the Cemetery Trust only recently appointed. The Trust is currently in the process of setting up a “ Friends of Arthur's Creek Cemetery ” group.
References:
MANN, Lindsay: Arthurs Creek Cemetery : A History (Revised Edition), 2004
Department of Human Services: Cemeteries & Crematorium Unit: Arthur's Creek Public Cemetery ; Cemetery File H-CEM-14: 1867-1983.
Education Department of Victoria : Vision and Realisation: A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria . Volume: 3 ; 1973
Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages - Victoria: Various death certificates.
Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour database. AWM Website.
AIF Project: Australian ANZACS in the Great War 1914-1918 . Canberra . AIF Project Website.
David Weatherill
Email: djweath@bigpond.net.au
Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
|