Back in 1999 ,when I started doing the family tree, Eric was one of the first people that I stumbled upon. A large amount of data that he had already put together on his wife Debra’s lines linked to a few of the branches in my tree, and Eric was only too happy to help me get started.
Grabbing a copy of his then single book and spending a few afternoons sitting with Eric going over how the lines all linked was a great introduction in to the right way to do research. So I owe a lot to Eric for that starting point and have enjoyed catching up with him over the years and seeing how his research project has grown.
At some point, the book got too large to be just one story, and Eric started breaking the chapters into standalone books. Now with a staggering amount of information, pictures and supporting stories I’m very happy that Eric has asked me to host this, his life’s work, on my site so many others can enjoy it for a long time to come. – Darryl Brady
Vikings, Villains & Vagabonds by Eric Leslie HANSEN About the Author
Eric Leslie HANSEN was born in Subiaco near Perth in Western Australia in 1944. He began working in the glass and window industry when he was fourteen years old & after 11 years he began his own glass business which he operated with partners until his retirement in 2008.
Eric was always interested in his heritage and after the death of his mother Betty Constance HANSEN (nee EDMONDS) in 1991 he began researching his own family, and that of his wife, Debra. After some early success, due to a lot of previous work done by Western Australian researchers and some relatives in Victoria, the bug had well & truly bitten.
The first edition of “Vikings, Villains & Vagabonds” was published in 1995 and is available in many libraries around Australia. With the advent of the Internet, he has now been able to produce a series of books on various families from within the original book. In his latter years, he has decided to make available all his twenty-two years of research to all other family historians throughout the world.
He wishes to thank all those contributors, of whom there are too many to name, and specifically Darryl BRADY who has offered to host all the data on his website. All the books and information are offered free of any costs from Darryl’s website, and the author hopes that many hours of enjoyment can be had by future readers
- Vikings, Villains & Vagabonds – The History of an Australia Family 1550c – 1995 Published 1995 – Book Available ISBN 0 646 25157 0
- Vikings, Villains & Vagabonds – The History of an Australia Family 1550c – 2015 Revised Edition .pdf (Updated Oct 2015)
- EDMONDS Excerpt .pdf
- HANSEN Excerpt .pdf (Added Aug 2015)
- HERDSFIELD Excerpt .pdf (Updated Oct 2015)
- GOULD Excerpt .pdf (Updated Aug 2015)
- PRATT Excerpt .pdf (Added Oct 2015)
- SHERRIFF Excerpt .pdf
- SHERRIFF Addendum .pdf
- TARZWELL Excerpt .pdf
- THIRLAWAY Excerpt .pdf (Updated Aug 2015)
- WALSH Excerpt .pdf (Added 12/09/2014)
Other works by Eric
- History of the Plague in London, by Daniel DEFOE .pdf – Revision with illustrations 2013
- Diary of life in London 1659-1669, by Samuel PEPYS .pdf – Revision with illustrations 2013
Check out who is linked to the books in the Brady Family Tree Books Section of the main site.